Thursday, June 30, 2011
25 Things I Learned During our Disney World Vacation*
1. June is the “rainy” season. Never go to Disney World in June.
2. Disney charges way too much for every single thing they sell. Be prepared to spend a LOT of money.
3. Rain ponchos at Disney World are the best $8.50 you will ever spend if you go to Disney World in June.
4. Only about 3% of the people at Disney World actually look like they’re having fun. The rest look miserable, hot and annoyed.
5. I saw a friend I used to work with that I hadn’t seen in over 10 years. It really is a small world.
6. Taxi drivers in Disney World take you for a ride. A very long, slow ride, way out of the way and charge you 10 times what the actual price should be.
7. I can’t believe people take newborns to Disney. Especially during the summer. It’s HOT.
8. Japanese beer is gross. Beer from England is good.
9. Blueberry muffins shaped like Mickey Mouse from the Boardwalk Bakery are really very tasty.
10. JetBlue is the best airline ever and they give you complimentary Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Oh and you get to watch TV. Your own private TV, any channel you want. So cool.
11. The best time to go on rides at the Magic Kingdom when it's peak season is during the parades.
12. The Swan/Dolphin is the best hotel at Disney, due to the location. It’s a 10 minute walk/boat ride to Epcot.
13. Boats are a much better mode of transportation than buses.
14. Eric looks silly in a Fez.
15. The absolute best way ever to get from the Orlando Airport to the hotel is a limo.
16. Epcot is the best of the 4 theme parks.
17. Animal Kingdom is hot. And kind of boring.
18. "It’s a Small World" is still my favorite ride.
19. Best pizza ever? At Wolfgang Puck in Downtown Disney. Pepperoni and Mushroom.
20. My hair hates humidity. Really, really hates it.
21. Disney employs 50,000 people.
22. Roller Coasters aren’t as scary when it’s dark. And the Fast Pass rocks.
23. Occasionally you can be in the right place at the right time and get to have your picture taken with all the Disney Characters all at once, and with nobody else around.
24. Nobody does fireworks like Disney.
25. Teenage boys can survive 7 days without playing video games.
I'll post more pictures the next few days. We took over 1,500 photos between us, so I've got some sorting to do! And laundry... and grocery shopping... and sleeping...
* I'm totally copying Rebecca with my "list"....
Monday, June 27, 2011
Our 2nd & 3rd day at Disney was as fun (minus the rain!) as the first day. We've been doing the parks in the order that they were built. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and today we're going to Animal Kingdom.
This was from lunch at Hollywood Studios. (Which we still call MGM...) It's the Sci Fi Dine In Theater. You eat in little cars while watching really bad sci fi movies. Kind of like at a Drive In. It's a favorite.We saw fireworks at Epcot, although this was mostly just a fire... Illuminations is what it's called. And nobody does fireworks like Disney.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
This nice man was waiting for us at the Orlando Airport. He was our driver that took us to our hotel. In record time I might add. We left NY at 7:30 and were at our hotel by 10:30. Not bad.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
One big thing we're doing that I'm very excited about is visiting with an old friend on Saturday. Debbie and I were next-door neighbors when we lived on the Navy Base in Puerto Rico, our fathers were in the military. I was in 1st grade and she was in Kindergarten when we met. We have remained friends all these years. We've visited each other many times, the last time was over 10 years ago, but I'm sure it'll feel like no time has passed once we get together.
Here's a photo of us that she posted on her facebook page. I think it's circa 1977. My mom would know better... she was our Brownie leader. Anyway, we've both changed a bit, but we've managed to remain friends through so many moves and so many years. We always joke that we are each others "oldest friends".
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
In other news..... One week and one day away from our Disney vacation!! Woohoo! I won't be blogging from vacation, at least not in the traditional sense. I can blog from my phone, I've tested it out. But the entries won't be very long, I can assure you of that! I will mostly be updating my Twitter and Facebook accounts... so feel free to follow us to see what we're up to!
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Monday, June 13, 2011
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Sunday, June 5, 2011
And speaking of mulch... here's a before and after of a tree in the front of the house. Before I mulched, I had to do some serious trimming. I even broke out the electric chainsaw. And then filled 7 lawn bags with all of the dead/discarded twigs and branches. It was SO nice to get this project done. That tree has been an eyesore since we moved in. (That "before" photo was actually taken 2 years ago... I forgot to take one this morning - it was much worse than that!)A nice clean entrance... I like the dark mulch. I used reddish mulch before, this is a nice change. And it matches the neighbor!